Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump participated in an Ask Me Anything (AMA) on social network Reddit on Wednesday night.
The event, which took place on a subreddit group called The Donald, kickstarted at 06:30 pm after Trump posted a note inviting questions.
“I’m Donald J. Trump and I’m Your Next President of the United States”, the post read.
The post received over 24,000 comments by 9 pm, with users ranging between the age of 15 and 45.
Trump’s event took place just before US President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden took the stage for the third night of the Democratic National Convention.
Here are some of the highlights from the event:
- Hello Mr. Trump. I’m 29 years old, registered Libertarian and have voted that way my entire life. I feel closely aligned with what the party stands for, and am passionate about it. However, this election I am starting to think that, while I think a Libertarian candidate is what’s best for America long term, that you may be what America needs right now. I also feel like you care about this country so, so much, and you want what’s best for it. This is a difficult decision for me, because on the issues I seem to either firmly believe or strongly disagree with what you have to say. I think you may be the best possible candidate for our economy, but I do fear some of your international policies,
- Americans in every party are tired of our rigged system and corrupt politicians, and want to reform our government so it no longer benefits the powerful at the expense of everyone else. They know I will fix it so it works for them and their families. Hillary Clinton’s message is that things will never change. My message is that things have to change, and they have to change right now.
We have to change a foreign policy that has led us to one economic disaster after another, and an economic policy that has failed our poorest citizens. We will never fix a rigged system by relying on the people who rigged it in the first place.
I am going to return the government to the people.
Together, we will Make America Great Again.
- Hello Mr. Trump, as you may know there are a lot of young Bernie Sanders supporters out there who have become disillusioned by both the conduct of the DNC and by the policy positions of Secretary Clinton (many of these Bernie Sanders frequent this site). What is the most important thing you would like to convey about yourself and your policy positions to the people who voted for Bernie in the primary but are now considering either staying home or voting third party in November?
- Though Bernie is exhausted and has given up on his revolution, many of his voters still want to keep up the fight. I expect that millions of Bernie voters will refuse to vote for Hillary because of her support for the War in Iraq, the invasion of Libya, NAFTA and TPP, and of course because she is totally bought and sold by special interests. She and her husband have been paid millions and millions by global corporations and powerful interests who will control her every decision. She is their puppet, and they pull the strings.
We welcome with open arms all voters who want an honest government and to fix our rigged system so it works for the people. This includes fixing one of Bernie’s biggest issues, our terrible trade deals that strip our country of its jobs and wealth.
- During your rapid fire Press Q&A this morning, you mentioned the hundreds of days it’s been since Hillary’s last press conference.
What do you think is/are the reason(s) for Hillary refusing to hold any press conferences for such a huge amount of time?
Do you think Hillary will attempt to decrease the number of times she has to debate you like she did to Bernie during the Democratic Primary, or even avoid debating you altogether like she’s avoided press conferences altogether this year?
- Crooked Hillary Clinton will not do press conferences because she cannot explain her illegally deleted 33,000 emails, or her disaster in Libya, or her role pushing TPP (which she would 100% approve if she got the chance), or her support for a 550% increase in Syrian refugees, etc.
- Mr. Trump,
Reports estimate that 90% of US media is owned by 6 companies. The US mass media has fused into a gross alliance with big business and big government as this election has shown more than any other. The dishonest media is rigging our democracy with a radical agenda that divides Americans and causes nothing but sensationalism and hatred at the expense of the USA. They are killing our country for ratings and profit, with impunity.
How will you, as president, tackle this protected class of media elites without stepping on the first amendment rights of average Americans?
- I have been very concerned about media bias and the total dishonesty of the press. I think new media is a great way to get out the truth.